Timeshare Companies

Any opinions on Global Exchange Vacation Club?

votes

Jan 22, 2007

I'm new to the Timeshare / Vacation trade and points systems and would like to hear some opinions on buying into a points trading company like GEVC (Global Exchange Vacation Club).

What is your experience with this organization? RCI points?

Thank you, Harrison

Harrison R.

votes

Feb 08, 2007

It's crap!

Linda S.

votes

Feb 25, 2007

linda31 wrote:
It's crap!

Care to elaborate?

Mary D.

votes

Feb 25, 2007

When I purchased my timeshare in Mexico, they stuck me with a membership to Global. For years, they provided no information, no help, no service, no newsletter or website, nothing. then when they wanted me to resubscribe, they called for that. As far as I can tell, they are about as good as some of the resale agents who call and ask for money up front and then do nothing.

Linda S.

votes

Oct 11, 2007

harrisonr wrote:
I'm new to the Timeshare / Vacation trade and points systems and would like to hear some opinions on buying into a points trading company like GEVC (Global Exchange Vacation Club).

What is your experience with this organization? RCI points?

Thank you, Harrison

I agree...it is crap!!! Since we joined there has been NO customer service....we called every wk. for almost 6 mos. before there was a response from the CEO. He was very rude and condensending and has not responded to our reply to his mail. They make misleading and inaccurate statements at the sales presentation and at the owners meeting. Just found out an interesting fact...Richard Sargent is the only board member...he doesn't have to answer to anyone so he can pretty much do whatever he wants. We still want out of this, we have not been able to get a single reservation from Santa Barb. to n. CA to Hawaii...none! (and certainly not at the prices they quoted) We are filing complaints w/ the BBB of Santa Clara County and San Diego County. Do yourself a favor and do not buy thru GEVC. Shell Vacation Club has a reputation for excellent customer service as does Disney.

J P.

votes

Oct 12, 2007

jp159 states:

Re: >> We are filing complaints w/ the BBB of Santa Clara County and San Diego County. <<

With all due respect, the BBB (anywhere) is a powerless and impotent entity which can do absolutely nothing more than record statistics on complaints.

You might elicit more action by contacting the Consumer Protection Division of your state Attorney General's office. Squeaky wheels might get the grease --- but only when the squeaking is actually heard by someone with real legal authority and the power to initiate corrective action. BBB just doesn't cut it in that particular regard; they are meaningless "paper tigers".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 12, 2007 10:17 AM

votes

Oct 13, 2007

Thanks for the suggestion...we will follow up and try that. JP

ken1193 wrote:
jp159 states:

Re: >> We are filing complaints w/ the BBB of Santa Clara County and San Diego County. <<

With all due respect, the BBB (anywhere) is a powerless and impotent entity which can do absolutely nothing more than record statistics on complaints.

You might elicit more action by contacting the Consumer Protection Division of your state Attorney General's office. Squeaky wheels might get the grease --- but only when the squeaking is actually heard by someone with real legal authority and the power to initiate corrective action. BBB just doesn't cut it in that particular regard; they are meaningless "paper tigers".

J P.

votes

Oct 13, 2007

Is this the same people you are talking about? :

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=21687

Kenneth K.

votes

Dec 02, 2007

Hi I made a purchase on a GEVC timeshare today 12/1 w/o reading what people had said about them. Now I'm regreting my purchase and is consider getting a refund. I read on my contract where it says I can cancelled the contract if I put it in writing within 7days of the purchase. I went to the presentation to recieve the free hawaii tickets that they offer but got suck into buying a GEVC member for about 10K, which at the time I thought I had a good deal until I came home google the review on the company and realized it doesn't have good reviews so now thinking of cancelling the deal. Any advice will help???

Thanks Kim

Kim K.

votes

Dec 02, 2007

To kimk147:

It's very simple, but the clock is now ticking.....

You must follow the rescission (cancellation) instructions *exactly* to the letter. They are printed right there on your contract (that's required by law). Don't invent your own cancellation procedure, since it may very well be entirely legally inadequate.

Stay off the phone! Legally, phone conversations are completely inadequate and meaningless. Email notification of cancellation doesn't cut it either --- you MUST cancel in writing. Fax is highly questionable too, since dates and times can be "played with" (altered) on all fax machines and you can't ever prove actual receipt.

Send your WRITTEN cancellation by certified mail, return receipt requested and send it ONLY to the address specified within the contract documents, regardless of where your "presentation" was conducted. DO NOT miss the time deadline -- if you do, you will be firmly locked into that contract, whether you like it or not. State laws vary on rescission time periods (from 3-10 days, 5 days generally being about the norm).

You won't get your refund right away. They don't, by law, have to immediately act on the refund portion. That part could take up to 60 days. The MOST important first step is to exercize your right of rescission (cancellation) **NOW**, so that you legally get yourself OUT of that contract. Worry about the refund next, but do so only AFTER you get the contract legally rescinded (cancelled).

Do it NOW!!! or you'll be locked into that contract. Make no mistake about it --- if you snooze, you will lose!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 02, 2007 09:38 AM

votes

Dec 02, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
To kimk147:

It's very simple, but the clock is now ticking.....

You must follow the rescission (cancellation) instructions *exactly* to the letter. They are printed right there on your contract (that's required by law). Don't invent your own cancellation procedure, since it may very well be entirely legally inadequate.

Stay off the phone! Legally, phone conversations are completely inadequate and meaningless. Email notification of cancellation doesn't cut it either --- you MUST cancel in writing. Fax is highly questionable too, since dates and times can be "played with" (altered) on all fax machines and you can't ever prove actual receipt.

Send your WRITTEN cancellation by certified mail, return receipt requested and send it ONLY to the address specified within the contract documents, regardless of where your "presentation" was conducted. DO NOT miss the time deadline -- if you do, you will be firmly locked into that contract, whether you like it or not. State laws vary on rescission time periods (from 3-10 days, 5 days generally being about the norm).

You won't get your refund right away. They don't, by law, have to immediately act on the refund portion. That part could take up to 60 days. The MOST important first step is to exercize your right of rescission (cancellation) **NOW**, so that you legally get yourself OUT of that contract. Worry about the refund next, but do so only AFTER you get the contract legally rescinded (cancelled).

Do it NOW!!! or you'll be locked into that contract. Make no mistake about it --- if you snooze, you will lose!

====== Ken, if Kimk decides to cancel the contract, can (or should) he also put a stop on the check if that was used or on credit card payment if that was? MD

Mary D.

votes

Dec 02, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
Ken, if Kimk decides to cancel the contract, can (or should) he also put a stop on the check if that was used or on credit card payment if that was? MD

She can do that, but if she follows the rescission clause stated in her contract within the rescission period, then everything should be in order for a full refund. Be sure and send the rescission letter by U.S. certified mail with return receipt. The U.S. Postal date stamped on the certified letter is what determines the time the rescission is in effect and that's what resorts go by.

She doesn't have to write a long drawn out letter, just a short note stating that she has decided to rescind ... that will suffice. Resorts get rescission letters everyday so it's nothing new to them. A rescission period is law and what is determined as the 'cooling off period' after signing to purchase a developer timeshare. All states have a rescission period, but they are not all necessarily the same number of days.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Dec 02, 2007 04:03 PM

votes

Dec 02, 2007

Hi Thank you so much for everyone advice on how to cancelled my GEVC membership. I will write a cancelation letter tonight and send via certify mail with return receipt tomorrow. Do I just address it to "Global Exchange Vaction Club?" Another thing, I put the deposit on my credit card, I can my credit card company would I be able to call the credit card company and request them to hold the charge like putting a stop payment on a check? Lastly, today I recieved a call from one of the general manger at GEVC in regards to the owner meeting that they will have something this month. I told the manger the I am cancelling the membership and she said I can do so, but I will have to return the membership kit/booklet back to them and she wanted to make an appointment to talk to me on Thursday. I don't want to go see her, can I just mail her whatever member booklet/kit was given to me when I purchase the membership?

Thanks again Kim Thanks Kim

Kim K.

votes

Dec 02, 2007

Oh one more question: what should the cancellation letter say? Can I just put that I am not satified with my membership and would like to cancel the membership.

Would that be good enought or do I have to go through the whold explaination?

I've never written these type of letter before so any advice will help.

Thank you again Kim

Kim K.

votes

Dec 02, 2007

Re: >> what should the cancellation letter say? Can I just put that I am not satified with my membership and would like to cancel the membership.

Would that be good enought or do I have to go through the whold explaination?

I've never written these type of letter before so any advice will help.

Thank you again Kim =======================================

Kim: 1. The EXACT name and address to which to send your rescission (cancellation) letter is stated clearly somewhere on your contract paperwork (probably near the end of the document, probably in small print). Follow those instructions precisely. Do NOT vary from those instructions.

2. Your letter only needs to say something like this: "I hereby exercise my right of rescission and I hereby cancel the contract regarding [{insert specific identification of the contract by number and/or other detailed description, and identify the specific date on which the contract was signed}]. I am exercising this contract rescission and cancellation as is my lawful right to do under applicable provisions of law.

Please fully refund all payment made at your earliest opportunity, preferably by promptly issuing a credit of $xxx.xx to credit card #xxxx xxxx xxxx ".

You don't have to say ANYTHING more! You don't need to provide ANY further explanation to ANYONE. The LAW allows you to cancel such a contract (within very specific time constraints), just as long as you follow the cancellation instructions provided on the contract EXACTLY. You DON'T need to tell anyone any story in order to exercise your legal rights. You just have to exercise those rights correctly and within the applicable deadlines identified by applicable state law!

Cancelling the contract is JOB ONE! As far as your credit card charge goes, don't even worry about that until you have COMPLETED the contract cancellation process. Then, once you finish that part, just as an added safety measure you should contact your credit card issuer, just to let them know you are going to dispute 100% of this particular charge if the payee does not voluntarily and promptly credit to your account the full amount which you've paid. Follow any specific further instructions or unique requirements which your particular card issuer might have. Each has slightly different procedures.

Finally, to repeat, STAY OFF THE PHONE!!! Any conversations you have mean NOTHING legally, and you would only be giving the sales people a chance to "work" on you some more. DON'T DO IT!!! Also, DON'T agree to meet with them (for the exact same reasons).

You should return any and all "membership" materials already provided to you, and you will have to do so at your own cost. I'd recommend sending them back by U.S. mail, requesting delivery confirmation service from the USPS. Make a complete list (and keep it) of each and every individual item which you return, so that you could (if necessary) later itemize and describe each and every item you returned.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 02, 2007 06:15 PM

votes

Dec 02, 2007

Hi,,

Kim...listen to the advice and don't give up. GEVC is very questionable and there have been some violations of the state and federal privacy laws by them. (not in all cases, but in my and another person's.)

Thanks to the advice I got to contact the state attorney general's office. I now have my refund after 9 mos. Hard won, but worth it. Once GEVC received the complaints filed w/ BBB and the a.g.o., they called me to see what we could do to resolve the issue...I was very direct about what I expected. Their "hope" is that most people will just "let it go" and not take the time to force the issue. Therefore GEVC retains the money and the consumer is out of luck if they aren't satisfied.

I am thankful for forums like this where we can get advice and information. Good luck to you, Kim. Others reading this...GEVC is NOT the way to go.

J P.

votes

Dec 02, 2007

Everyone I cannot express enough "thank you" for everyone's help. Thank you so much for your advice and guidence to help me cancel my membership with GEVC. I will used the cancellation example statement that Ken had provided above and will send out a cancellation letter tomorrow via certified mail with return receipt. Once I send the letter my membership should be automatic cancel right? I am so thankful that I found this page, when read all the negative reviews on GEVC I was so distress I could not sleep last night. Today after recieving your advice I feel so much better knowing that there's hope in getting out of GEVC scam. I remember there were a few other people at the GEVC presentation yesturday who also signed up for GEVC membership I hope they too find themself on this site soon and also cancel their membership. Again thank you so much for all your help.

Kim

Kim K.

votes

Dec 03, 2007

kimk147 has stated in part: >> I cannot express enough "thank you" for everyone's help. Thank you so much for your advice and guidence to help me cancel my membership with GEVC. I will used the cancellation example statement that Ken had provided above and will send out a cancellation letter tomorrow via certified mail with return receipt.<<

Please don't forget to also SIGN and date that letter. ================================

>> Once I send the letter my membership should be automatic cancel right? <<

There is never anything "automatic" in matters of law, particularly in contract law. Once the seller receives your letter of rescission, on time and within state law deadlines, you will ultimately be out of the contract. The seller may (or may not) then try to play games, or contact you to "reconsider" negotiating at a lower price. Don't talk to them, particularly on the phone. Don't visit or meet with them again in person either. Send the membership material back only by mail, with delivery confirmation. Do not have any further contact with the seller. ======================================

>> Today after recieving your advice I feel so much better knowing that there's hope in getting out of GEVC scam.<<

In fairness to the seller, it's not a scam. It's a sales pitch --- and the simple truth is that you fell for it. Just as some people sell cars, these people sell timeshare. You voluntarily signed on the dotted line, of your own free will and your own personal choice --- you are not a "victim". Just be glad and grateful that the law protects you from your mistake becoming permanent, by providing a "cooling off" period for you to be able to cancel your contract. Not all that many years ago, such consumer protection laws did not even exist! =======================================

>> Again thank you so much for all your help.<<

You're welcome. Truth to tell, there aren't many places where you can get prompt, competent (and free) legal advice. You'd probably choke to learn what this assistance would have cost you if you had walked in through the door of a law practice seeking help on this matter.... ;-)

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 03, 2007 05:35 AM

votes

Dec 03, 2007

Well, best of luck to you. I tried In Person to get out of Global Exchange while at the timeshare in Mexico the very next day I signed, and no one would talk to me or take back the contract. I've been stuck with it all these years. You probably will be too. I wrote to the Attorney General of Florida, no luck, BBB no luck. No one will help. Global is a rotten company, pure and simple. And wait until you get your 5 year double assessment!!!!

Linda S.

votes

Dec 03, 2007

linda31 stated: >> Well, best of luck to you. I tried In Person to get out of Global Exchange while at the timeshare in Mexico the very next day I signed, and no one would talk to me or take back the contract. I've been stuck with it all these years. You probably will be too. I wrote to the Attorney General of Florida, no luck, BBB no luck. No one will help. Global is a rotten company, pure and simple. And wait until you get your 5 year double assessment!!!!<< =====================================

With all due respect, regardless of whether or not Global is "rotten" (I don't claim to know a thing about them, personally), what you describe above is having done ALL of the WRONG things (talk, personal visits, etc.) in all of the wrong ways (I see no timely Profeco reference or involvement) --- and you probably did not act (in writing) within legal time deadlines to rescind the contract either. In addition, the BBB is absolutely useless, completely powerless, and has no legal authority whatsoever, so whatever contact you had with BBB was simply a complete waste of your time and effort.

If Kim, on the other hand, follows *exactly* the clear and specific instructions provided to her in the above posts, she WILL be out of her contract, permanently and forever, without ever paying another penny --- and she WILL get ALL of her money fully refunded as well. When that happens, I'm sure she'll come back here and confirm her success (and I hereby ask her to do so).

I'm genuinely sorry that your outcome was quite different, but you clearly did NOT take ANY of the actions legally sufficient (indeed, absolutely required) to exercise a lawful right of contract rescission in a timely manner. The law and its processes have rules, procedures, and very strict time deadlines --- all which must be followed right to the letter, or you're out of luck. Ad libbed actions, phone calls, personal visits -- all mean absolutely NOTHING in terms of properly exercising your right of timely contract rescission. And if you undertake wrong actions, the clock still keeps ticking away anyhow and, at some point, it's just plain too late and the window of opportunity closes....

In fairness, perhaps your unfortunate experience (no date or year is mentioned in your post) preceded the implementation of strong consumer protection laws.Either you didn't have a right of rescission law available to you at that time, or you just simply failed to exercise that right in a timely or legally sufficient manner. In either case, it's regrettable that you are "out of luck". Kim won't be, IF she follows the instructions *exactly* AND acts in time...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 03, 2007 02:32 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.