ideas for selling Bluegreen?

Forum: Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

page 1 of 4

«  prev page   1 2 3 4   next page  »

Message Author

By bent44

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

Hi all,

My wife and I own 12,000 Bluegreen points that are awarded once every 2 years. We paid $10,000 for them, and now we're trying to get rid of them. Aside from posting a timeshare ad (which I am), does anyone have any advice? Am I going to have to give this thing away? We just can't afford the almost $700 in yearly maintenance fees as we are having a baby and just moved to a new house. Our understanding is that some people want to add more points to their already existing memberships, yet when we talk about them, no one seems to actually want them in real life.

Ideas? We technically own at Harbour Lights in Myrtle Beach, but those of you who know Bluegreen know that we can go wherever we want whenever we want to book. We have tried to book on the offseason, which allows us about 2 vacations per year.

Any suggestions are appreciated. We can't afford this anymore.

Thanks, Ben

Avatar for bent44 bent44

7 years ago
Feb 15, 2010

By jayjay

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

bent44 wrote:
Hi all,

My wife and I own 12,000 Bluegreen points that are awarded once every 2 years. We paid $10,000 for them, and now we're trying to get rid of them. Aside from posting a timeshare ad (which I am), does anyone have any advice? Am I going to have to give this thing away? We just can't afford the almost $700 in yearly maintenance fees as we are having a baby and just moved to a new house. Our understanding is that some people want to add more points to their already existing memberships, yet when we talk about them, no one seems to actually want them in real life.

Ideas? We technically own at Harbour Lights in Myrtle Beach, but those of you who know Bluegreen know that we can go wherever we want whenever we want to book. We have tried to book on the offseason, which allows us about 2 vacations per year.

Any suggestions are appreciated. We can't afford this anymore.

Thanks, Ben

I don't know about Bluegreen points, but this is the very worst time to be trying to sell any form of timeshare ... you could try giving your points away to get rid of the yearly maintenance fees, but it's not a given that you could even give your points away.

Avatar for jayjay jayjay

7 years ago
Feb 15, 2010

By danac98

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

I used to own a dedicated week at a Blue Green resort in Pigeon Forge, Tn., 3 Bed, 2 Bath. Paid about $9,000.00 for it. I never had any luck selling it until I started bugging the resort and Blue Green. I would go to the unit every year and put advertisements on the back of my truck (legal under the condo docs) and sit in front of the sales office in my shorts with a big sign, FOR SALE. Only had to do that twice and Blue Green bought the property back for $4300.00. Over four years of trying everything else and spending $1200 on "resale" companies this is the only thing that I know that works.

Robin Curtis

Avatar for danac98 danac98

7 years ago
Feb 24, 2010

By rolandh9

Hi,

Call Bluegreen 1-800-456-CLUB and request set up resale with Pinnacle. Or check at Bluegreenonline.com

Gd luck.

Avatar for rolandh9 rolandh9

7 years ago
Mar 03, 2010

Message deleted.

Avatar for rickf113 rickf113

7 years ago
Jun 19, 2010

By sherilynnd

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

Wow Robin you must be from New York or something! How do you feel it is right to take it upon yourself to force someone to buy your ownership from you? Not to mention act like a quack at a probably very resort where families are trying to enjoy their vacations? I owned two timeshares (One of which i liked better than the other ), So I kept the one i enjoyed using which by the way was bluegreen @ big cedar and rented the other one out for a couple years and eventually after recouping most of the money I put into it..turned around and donated it to a great charity here in the united states and feel really good about the way i handled it. I will say this though....Most owners @ the resorts i've been to have been very nice and are quality .....but every now in then you'll meet a few! Ozarkmountaingirl

Avatar for sherilynnd sherilynnd

7 years ago
Jun 21, 2010

By sherilynnd

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

Hey Ben! I was going to suggest keeping it for a few years, renting it out to recoup some of your original investment....that way when you are ready to vacation after things turn around for you, you didn't give up your vacation plan. Good luck and another option...Why don't you donate a week to a charity and take a tax deduction? Good luck

Avatar for sherilynnd sherilynnd

7 years ago
Jun 21, 2010

By jimmyc

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

Robin, Good for you.My wife and i have a lot more points and money tied up in ours and we've yet to get an answer back from our letter explaining to them our not being able to pay the maintenance fees and want to just give it back. No one will give us the time of day unless we wanted to get more points. very depressing, jimmy

Avatar for jimmyc jimmyc

7 years ago
Nov 16, 2010

By sherilynnd

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

Well i personally think the most ethical way to sell your own property is thru advertising. You could invest in an inexpensive ad in local paper closest to where resort is...couple bucks maybe? Keep on doing the listing you have with red weeks, and if all else fails.....why not donate it to a great charity that may love to provide an opportunity to have the gift of vacations? You may even be able to get a tax deduction.

Avatar for sherilynnd sherilynnd

7 years ago
Nov 16, 2010

By sherilynnd

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

Are you serious? That is so rude! Simply because you failed to use, afford, or whatever your purchase of property.....you feel that you are justified by acting like a jerk. Wouldn't it have been a better choice to give it to a great charity and feel good about it?

Avatar for sherilynnd sherilynnd

7 years ago
Nov 16, 2010

By jayjay

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

jimmyc wrote:
Robin, Good for you.My wife and i have a lot more points and money tied up in ours and we've yet to get an answer back from our letter explaining to them our not being able to pay the maintenance fees and want to just give it back. No one will give us the time of day unless we wanted to get more points. very depressing, jimmy

That's just one catch 22 of timeshare or points ownership .... you can't force an entity to take back your timeshare or points .... there are millions of timeshare owners (in this economy) that would like to deed their timeshare or points back to the developer, but if everyone did that then the resort would implode from within due to lack of paid maintenance fees.

Why don't you try giving your points away to get out of the responsibility of ongoing maintenance fees. I know it's a hard pill to swallow but owners are giving away timeshares right and left in this economy.

Avatar for jayjay jayjay

7 years ago
Nov 17, 2010

By peterp151

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

@ sherilynnd, I can't believe any owner would respond like you. First, Robin didn't force her timeshare down any owner's throat, she merely made it known to owners it was for sale. Second, in the absence of what we owners should have, which is a developer or property management supported resale program at our resorts, Robin did something I think all owners should do - show other owners and prospective owners the resale value of timeshares before they walk into the direct sales office and overpay!

Avatar for peterp151 peterp151

7 years ago
Nov 18, 2010

By peterp151

Heck, I'm so inspired I think I'm going to do the same thing as Robin next time I'm at one of my timeshares! Most of the time I'm not at a location I directly own at, but I think I'll plan a trip on purpose just so I can test this sales method out!

Avatar for peterp151 peterp151

7 years ago
Nov 18, 2010

By michelem254

There are NO tax benefits from donating your timeshare to charity so stop with the wholesome goodness crap. Why don't the timeshare companies donate some of the money we were robbed and I'll donate THAT to charity. Robin you ROCK! Timeshares are nothing more than legal scams and I'll be glad when Bluegreen is exploired and implicated for their actions.

Avatar for michelem254 michelem254

7 years ago
Dec 16, 2010

By roberts1192

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

wow, I appreciate this information. I had to use Chapt 1 in ron Burley book, "Unscrewed". Where I had a local printer type up information on RED PAPER, WARNING DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING, THERE IS A $350. NON RETURNABLE FEE" This was at a vacation club and I was able to go back for a second appt. six months later. When I showed this information to the Agent during the interview session that I just go into the weaiting room and hand out literature on Branson, this warning sheet was included. three days later, I received my check in the mail. I like the idea of advertising on back of a vehicle. Since a number of timeshares have security gates, this would have to be accomplished during one of your visits to the timeshare. another tip. When in dispute with a tmeshare org, there is a format to follow to notify vis certified mail the 3 credit bureau of this fact. T

Avatar for roberts1192 roberts1192

7 years ago
Dec 17, 2010

By roberts1192

I paid Pinnacle about 5 years ago and the only time that I heard from them was a Year later, and they wanted another annual fee.

Avatar for roberts1192 roberts1192

7 years ago
Dec 17, 2010

By ken1193

STOP paying upfront fees...

roberts1192 wrote:
I paid Pinnacle about 5 years ago and the only time that I heard from them was a Year later, and they wanted another annual fee.
No offense intended, but in numerous other posts in these RedWeek forums you indicate having a history of paying upfront fees (Timeshare Advocacy International, Pinnacle, maybe even others...). Predictably, none of these entities have actually done anything for you except to take your money. That pattern will just be repeated over and over again until you STOP unwisely volunteering to just throw your money away.

Simply stated, there is NO "magic bullet" or "miracle company" out there, and it's unwise (...bordering on outright foolish, actually...) to continue to believe any different and repeatedly act against your own best interests --- and at considerable financial expense.

Last edit by ken1193 on Dec 18, 2010 09:40 AM.

Avatar for ken1193 ken1193

7 years ago
Dec 18, 2010

By peterp151

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

Timeshare Vacation Now recently adopted a program for sellers where the sellers pay TVN's closing agent $400 to process the seller's docs at time of sale, with no other fees or commissions to the seller. Essentially TVN lists the unit for free and their closing agent, which TVN owns, charges a transfer/closing fee and that is all the seller pays.

Avatar for peterp151 peterp151

6 years ago
Dec 27, 2010

By michellem425

ideas for selling Bluegreen?

sherilynnd wrote:
Wow Robin you must be from New York or something! How do you feel it is right to take it upon yourself to force someone to buy your ownership from you? Not to mention act like a quack at a probably very resort where families are trying to enjoy their vacations? I owned two timeshares (One of which i liked better than the other ), So I kept the one i enjoyed using which by the way was bluegreen @ big cedar and rented the other one out for a couple years and eventually after recouping most of the money I put into it..turned around and donated it to a great charity here in the united states and feel really good about the way i handled it. I will say this though....Most owners @ the resorts i've been to have been very nice and are quality .....but every now in then you'll meet a few! Ozarkmountaingirl

"must be from New York?" Really, ozarkmountaingirl?

Avatar for michellem425 michellem425

6 years ago
Feb 01, 2011

By peterw233

I just got rid of my points. Literally had to give them away. Also had to pay $250 in closing costs and $100 to the person who acquired my points (small price to pay to avoid the excessive maintenance fee and club dues). Believe it or not there are people that want your points, and they make money off them by renting them out. Don't pay an advertising company. They will not be able to sell. I was ripped off by one. I stumbled across TUGBBS.com (Timeshare User Group Bulletin Board System) a few months ago. You can register for free and create an ad saying you want to get rid of your points. You will have to get your maintenance fees up to date, agree to pay closing costs and agree to pay the person to take care of everything. It takes a few months, but it's easy and you'll be free of your lifetime obligation to Bluegreen. Unless you want to do what Robin did :)

Avatar for peterw233 peterw233

5 years ago
Dec 04, 2012

page 1 of 4

«  prev page   1 2 3 4   next page  »

Reply to Topic

Available only to RedWeek.com Guests and Members
Sign in or register for free